The "Glenburnie" Series
Work From A Kentucky Coffee Tree (at right in the photograph below) That Recalls The History Of A Celebrated Jefferson County Family
About Historic Glenburnie
(photo courtesy of the Jefferson County Historical Society)
Located on (Sandy) Ridge Road north of Shenandoah Junction, hard by the headspring of what used to be called Lucas Run, Glenburnie was built in 1802 by Captain James Glenn, whose father William Glenn had been paying rent on the land to Lord Fairfax as early as 1770. Glenn the younger had served in the Revolutionary Army under General Nathaniel Greene, enlisting as a lad of fourteen. The home he built is of locally fired brick over a stone foundation; Glenburnie would pass through several hands until becoming the home of the Hendricks Family (see below), in 1920, which owned it until very recently. Glenburnie was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. Read more about it here.